The use of Build-Depends: libc*-dev

The issue recently came up on IRC that many (many!) packages seem to have
a Build-Depends: libc6-dev; so many, in fact, that it appears that the
libc6.1-dev and libc0.3-dev packages both Provide: libc6-dev (which, I
suppose, makes some sense, as they're all GNU libc, and thus, probably do
have equivalent files).

However, libc12-dev does *not* guarantee the exact same files, only "the
C library files" (which, in effect, is probably the vast majority of what
packages care about, in this case). It does provide libc12-dev, and it was
suggested that it should just Provide libc6-dev as well, to avoid a mass
bug filing.

I assert that this is not a valid solution, as (unlike "variants of GNU
libc" which almost certainly *do* have an equivalence), only libc-dev is
proper, and providing libc6-dev would cause much confusion and breakage.

So, two questions:

1) Should I file wishlist bugs against packages which fail to do something
like "libc6-dev | libc-dev" when, in fact, they appear to build using only
"generally found in libc" header files? Note that while it won't be all at
once, there probably will be a number of these... it might be more appropriate
to an automated check, but I suspect some things *do* actually depend on
things from GNU libc.

2) 'libc6-dev' seems to have become the de facto 'GNU libc' check; Would
it be useful for there be a pure virtual 'glibc-dev' shared among these
packages? (This is, in the end, up to the glibc maintainer, really, but
I figured it was worth asking while we were on the topic)
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/