Re: Problem with VIA C3 chip and libcrypto

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 12:41:33PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 11:25:55AM +0000, David Goodenough wrote:
> > I have found a problem with using the latest libssl package on a machine
> > ( an ECS A900 ) which uses the VIA C3 chip.  However I am not sure it is
> > a problem with libssl, so I thought I would ask here before entering bugs.
> See bug #164766. It seems cmov is being used in
> /usr/lib/i686/libcrypto.so.0.9.6 despite the fact that it isn't
> available on all i686 processors.

Isn't the specification of the Intel Pentium Pro Processor(tm) defining
what a i686 processor is? If it's not that document, who defines the exact
meaning of i686?

So if the VIA C3 chip does not support the cmov instruction, the chip does
IMHO not implement the i686 instruction set, and should be treated as i586.
Or read it that way: It is a processor bug that CPUID reports "family 6"
on a processor lacking the cmov instruction. I don't like a kernel check
that downgrades the CPUID info on the VIA C3 either, but currently thats
the only way to go to make things right, I think.

Michael Karcher