Problem with VIA C3 chip and libcrypto

I have found a problem with using the latest libssl package on a machine
( an ECS A900 ) which uses the VIA C3 chip.  However I am not sure it is
a problem with libssl, so I thought I would ask here before entering bugs.

The latest libssl has processor specific versions of libcrypto, and the
one that ldd reports will be used is in /usr/lib/i686.  But when this
one is used ssh and other such programs that use ssl fall over with an
illegal instruction fault.  If I rename /usr/lib/i686 ssh works properly.

Now when I built the kernel (2.4.19) I specified that this was a VIA C3
and CONFIG_MCYRIXIII was set.  However I noticed that when building the
kernel there were frequent references to march=586, note not 686.

/proc/cpuinfo reports:

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: CentaurHauls
cpu family	: 6
model		: 7
model name	: VIA Samuel 2
stepping	: 2
cpu MHz		: 731.018
cache size	: 64 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 1
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu de tsc msr cx8 mtrr pge mmx 3dnow
bogomips	: 1458.17

I also notice that when I log on to a console (not X) that i686 is
mentioned in the banner.

Anyone got any ideas?

David