Re: A Round of Removals

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 09:20:49PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > I'll downgrade the bug to important [...] instead of grave

> > | makes the package in question unuseable or mostly so, or causes
> > | data loss, or introduces a security hole allowing access to the
> > | accounts of users who use the package.

To expand on this. The point of considering bugs that make a package
completely unusable "grave" is that if a package is *completely*
unusable, there's no point having it in the archive at all, so we
shouldn't worry about getting rid of it. If the package is useful,
but doesn't work for some people, that's not the case, so the "grave"
severity doesn't apply. OTOH, if it's completely broken on one or two
entire architectures, it *does* apply: foo_1.2.3-1_powerpc.deb should be
removed, in the case for example.

What's the point of all this? We shouldn't expose users to choices that
we know in advance they don't want to make. Our users don't want packages
that are useless for *them*, or that have security holes, or whatever.

Cheers,
aj