Re: why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 11:43:27AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava scribbled:
> >>"Luke" == Luke Seubert <ls.maillist@verizon.net> writes:
>
>  Luke> On 10/24/2002 7:20 PM, Nick Leverton at nick@leverton.org wrote:
>  >> Why just make one decision when you can make two, though ?  And
>  >> isn't it All About Choice[tm] anyway ? ;-)
>  >>
>  Luke> Yeah, except that too much choice is rough too.  Does anyone
>  Luke> here believe that Debian's current menu structure, deeply
>  Luke> nested with beaucoup items because it seeks to make available
>  Luke> ALL apps is simple, elegant, and easy to use for Linux newbies?
>
> 	Well, only as a matter of presentation. I do believe that
>  offering even newcomers the richness of choice that have drawn us to
>  Debian and free software in the first place is a good thing.
True, but...

> 	However, I can understand the need for simplicity, at least
>  initially, when one may tend to be overwhelmed by the choices.
...exactly - the trick is in informing the user about he possibility to use
more software (for example using some kind of an opening screen the first
time they log in - kind of the current Tips displayed when one starts GNOME
or GIMP or the M$ Windows opening screen) making a note that for their
comfort some software was preselected and advising not to change anything
until they feel comfortable with what they are given at this point.

> 	But that state may not last as long as people are positing:
>  after the first few minutes on a new system, after I have things
>  working to a certain degree, I go out and  explore: ok, this is the
>  web browser I am using now. What are the other options?
It's a simple matter of providing an icon on the desktop saying "Install
More Software from Debian", I think.

> 	I am concerned that there is no effort being invested to help
>  this process of discovery; and so much effort is being spent on the
On the contrary, I do hope (and I'm sure others too) that we are able to
provide a smooth path from newbie to a power user. It's a matter of
streamlining the process - it will require a lot of thought, but it's
certainly a noble effort.

>  initial simplicity that there is no room for the transition that
>  comes from familiarity and exploration.  The initial ease of use
>  would become a strait jacket. Unless the barrier to accessing more
>  complete menus is lowered.
I agree and it seems that the new menu system might make it both easy and
possible.

> 	Indeed, microsoft's collapsing of the menus seems a nice
>  approach -- you initially see only one web browser, but, expand the
>  initially hidden entries, and you see all the gory detail.
Yes, it might be some idea worth exploring...

marek