Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 02:23:13PM +0900, Miles Bader scribbled:
> Luke Seubert <ls.maillist@verizon.net> writes:
> > > In all cases I think it is imperative that all menus available in
> > > Debian be auto-generated acording to the installed packages.
> >
> > Certainly the advanced menu would fit this criteria.
> >
> > However, the Basic Menu needs to be kept utterly simple, otherwise, it
> > defeats the purpose of such a menu in the first place.
>
> Are `utterly simple' and `auto-generated acording to the installed
> packages' incompatible?
>
> Even if the set of apps in a Basic Menu were hand-tailored (as may be
> necessary), it should at least automatically remove anything that isn't
> installed.
if the vFolder stuff is used, then I imagine it would be possible to tag
entries as "basic", "advanced", "deluxe" etc.?

> Anyway, I think of a Basic Menu as being more like a filter through
> which the normal menus are passed, rather than a totally separate thing.
Definitely. It's a filter for a newbie user so that they don't get confused.
And as with every filter, one can easily remove it and enjoy the full glory
of the menus.

marek