Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On 10/24/2002 11:00 PM, Daniel Burrows at dnb114@psu.edu wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 07:25:13PM -0400, Luke Seubert
> <ls.maillist@verizon.net> was heard to say:
>> Jim, I agree with what you are saying, but it is almost unavoidable.  In
>> order to have a simple, elegant, easy to use menu hierarchy; there is simply
>> no way that Debian Desktop can include every app in the menu.
>
> If you're not going to include (say) several Web browsers in the menu,
> perhaps you should not install the extras by default?

I did toss out that notion in another thread - the idea that if Desktop
Debian is chosen during initial installation, that it would only install
those X apps that are within its menu structure, and not the whole kitchen
sink, as a disk drive spacing saving measure.

I heard no response to this, pro or con.  I can see where this would be
perceived as Debian Desktop messing with default installations of Gnome,
KDE, etc., and so maybe this idea isn't such a good one then.  Certainly I
think it needs more discussion before serious consideration.

> The only serious problem I see with this is the silly [0] dependency of
> every Mozilla-based program on the browser itself...

Amen, bro.  Mozilla has gotten to be fairly stable and usable these days,
but it is an incredible resource pig.  Very annoying for those with not huge
amounts of RAM, and damned impossible for those with little RAM and CPU.

Cheers,
Luke Seubert