Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

--- On Presenting Desktop Installation Options ---

How about have an option available for each environ and list it like thus
when selecting tasks during base-config:

Debian Desktop Options
 - The following is a selection of available desktops for Debian.  - The
Deluxe desktops are feature rich and generally attractive to the eye. - The
Moderate desktops are lightweight and reasonably versatile. - The Minimal
desktops are very lightwieght but often somewhat limited in use.

Deluxe
 - GNOME
 - KDE

Moderate
 - WindowMaker
 - Enlightenment

Minimal
 - Fvwm
 - Icewm
 - TkDesk (hehe..no really!)

This would make it easier for both Joe User and Joe Admin to pick what they
want without too much  trouble.  BTW, all of these use a session manager.
The x-session-manager is just sneaky that way. :-) Manoj, I tend to think of
Sawfish as part of GNOME, but I did put Fvwm in the list.

--- On Menu Management ---

What I have read so far on the Menu stuff:

1 - A Single Comprehensive Menu listing all available applications. This
would be organized using a predetermined heirachy of application types,
regardless of Environ. This heirachy is not currently available. Example:
Main Menu--> Internet--> Mail--> Evolution | Balsa | Mozilla Mail

2 - A variable Menu with a predetermined 'Set of Commands' based on
application type. This is inherently similar to 1, but differs in that the
Application opened will vary according to Environ. Example In GNOME: Main
Menu--> Internet--> Mail (Evolution)
Example in WindoMaker: Main Menu--> Internet--> Mail (Aileron)

3 - A variable Menu with complete list of applications that varies in size
based on number of entries per grouping. This is the idea discussed in the
current Menu Policy. Ideally the 'Hints' feature could provide this. However
It will need some work. Additionally the appropriate destop can be detailed
is a visual clue, a tooltip or name in parenthesis. This option may also
provide a filtering method for specific Environs. Note: These 'Hints" ideas
are theory and not already in place.  Example in GNOME with only a couple
Internet Applications:
Main Menu--> Internet--> Evolution | KMail | Galeon

Example in GNOME with a few Internet Applications group by Environ: Main
Menu--> Internet--+ KMail
                       + Gnome--+ Evolution
                                + Galeon
                                + Balsa

Example in GNOME with a few Internet Applications group by Useage: Main
Menu--> Internet--+ Galeon(GNOME)
                       + Mail--+ Balsa(GNOME)
                               + Aileron(GNUStep)
                               + KMail(KDE)

(I hate variable width fonts at times.)

4 - A Newbie Menu and and Advanced Menu. They are seperate, but available to
both users via config or seperate desktop locations. In essence this
combines Solution 1 with Solution 2. 1 is for Advanced users, while 2 is for
Newbies.

Needless to say there is a lot of work to be done for any of the above
options. I prefer the 3rd as it could provide us with the tools necessary to
create any of the other three. In all cases I think it is imperative that
all menus available in Debian be auto-generated acording to the installed
packages. Therefore the type of menus generated can vary as needed. It would
seem silly to use option 2 in WindowMaker as most WindowMaker fans would not
appreciate the results. :-)

Did I miss anything? Any thoughts?

Luck,

Matthew McGuire