[desktop] Re: why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On 10/24/2002 10:21 AM, Matthew Garrett at mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk
wrote:

> I'm not convinced. Different toolkits behave differently. A naive user
> shouldn't have to understand why their KDE-based mail client behaves
> slightly differently to their Gnome-based news client. I dislike using
> non-GTK applications, and I'm willing to accept a slight reduction in
> functionality to achieve this.

Good point.  This is another good technical reason to segregate Gnome and
KDE and have a menu linking to different apps based upon which
toolset/libraries are loaded, i.e. which desktop environment the user is
using.

Now, that said, it would be nice if Debian Desktop developed a set Debian
branded themes across all the major GUIs that had common color pallettes,
icons, wallpaper, themes, etc.  I do not mean making KDE and Gnome look
exactly alike - just similar Debian oriented themes.  Those special
qualities that make KDE and Gnome special unto themselves should be there to
shine through :-)

And down the road, I would like to do some serious reasearch into User
Interface best practices, and tweak the configuration settings for KDE,
Gnome, et al so that they behave in a manner consisten with best UI
practice. But there are other things more urgent that need work for now.

Cheers,
Luke Seubert