Re: why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On 10/24/2002 9:01 AM, Bernhard R. Link at blink@informatik.uni-freiburg.de
wrote:

> This might be good for people only using KDE, but for people
> switching window-managers[1] or multi-users systems this is crap.

How about this as a solution: The sort of people who are frequent GUI
switchers are also probably more advanced users.  For them, they could
select the "Advanced Menu" option, which would have a mix of Gnome and KDE
apps.

That, or how about if we build an intelligent GUI switcher into the menu
hierarchy, so that if you are in Gnome, you can use the menu to quickly (OK
sorta quickly) switch to one of the other installed GUIs.  I have seen this
option in some of the lightweight window managers such as IceWM.  Why not
make it standard under all the GUIs?

> KDE an Gnome might have some icons on the desctop or in the panel
> for "mail-program",  "browser" (or even "internet") somewhere and
> starting different programs, but the menus should be the same in
> my eyes.

Well, the goal is to have very similar menus for both KDE and Gnome.  Same
basic structure, submenus, items listed within submenus, etc.

However, under Gnome, and this is just a quick example - if you select
Start/Internet/Email (Evolution) you would open up Evolution.

But under KDE, it would be Start/Internet/Email (Aethera).  Same menu
structure, and same type of app in the same location - just a different app
depending upon the desktop environment.

Does this sound like a reasonable solution?

Cheers,
Luke Seubert