Re: why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 06:24:54PM -0400, Luke Seubert wrote:
> Well, the goal is to have very similar menus for both KDE and Gnome.  Same
> basic structure, submenus, items listed within submenus, etc.
>
> However, under Gnome, and this is just a quick example - if you select
> Start/Internet/Email (Evolution) you would open up Evolution.
>
> But under KDE, it would be Start/Internet/Email (Aethera).  Same menu
> structure, and same type of app in the same location - just a different app
> depending upon the desktop environment.
>
> Does this sound like a reasonable solution?

Ahh, no. The quickest way to piss off users is to make things
unpredictable. The same action should have the same results.

Also, an interface should teach users, so that as they use it, they
learn more about what it is they're doing. This approach would not
allow them to learn how to start "that other email program I use in
kde", since it doesn't present them with its name anywhere.

--
michael cardenas       | lead software engineer, lindows.com
hyperpoem.net          | GNU/Linux software developer

"Language is a virus."
- William S. Burroughs