Re: [desktop] Some comment on the tenets

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 03:30:40PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:

> Are you seriously saying that we'd be introducing "premature brain
> death" by making it a painless process for "generally smart" people like
> my mathemetician friends to install Debian without getting bogged down
> in pointless technical details like DHCP (in the dbootstrap network
> configuration phase) and MIME (the less application/* handler)?

I am saying that treating users as if they are all either novices or
experts is self-fulfilling prophecy.  There's nothing wrong with making
it painless to set up the computer, so long as we don't make it painFUL
when the user tries to advance beyond the established novice boundaries.
Converting the world to Debian only to make them ever more dependent on
the experts is not a win, IMHO.

> Now of course we don't want to alienate the intermediate users, and you
> can rest assured Debian Desktop will not ignore them.  But they will not
> be targeted as the primary audience.

Understood.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer