Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On 10/24/2002 2:13 AM, Joey Hess at joeyh@debian.org wrote:

>> Various commercial Linux distros offer choices like this, and tailor what
>> packages are installed based upon the usage intended for the computer.
>
> Er, yes. So does debian. Installed debian lately? :-P

Heh.  Yes I have :-) I actually liked the improvements from Potato to Woody.

And you are right, but tasksel isn't quite what I meant.  I am talking about
a really slick and newbie friendly user interface during the installation
process like other distros have. But this gets into that whole flamewar
about Debian's ease of installation. I don't get worked up about it, because
the ncurses Debian installer has worked fine for me - a few quibbles aside,
and I think the new Debian installer will solve most of the complaints
floating around out there, including any of mine.

> Unfortunatly, what you want to do with a computer is somewhat orthagonal
> to how much control you want over how you get there. I might install a
> desktop machine and still need to partition the hard drive exactly as I
> want it, and hand-edit the X config file. For a general purpose debian
> install you really have to ask both questions seperatly.

Agreed.  For example, while I mostly use Linux on the desktop, I tend to use
a partitioning scheme found more often in server type installations.  So
yes, that choice and flexibility should still be available during install.

Cheers,
Luke Seubert