Re: [desktop] RFD: Can DeMuDi and Desktop Debian unite kernel development efforts?

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Luke Seubert wrote:

> Andreas, I think I understand where you are coming from, and that we are
> actually in agreement, but just suffering from a bit of miscommunication.
I think I completely understand your intention.

> My idea was not meant to suggest that Debian Desktop become a separate
> project from mainstream Debian.  I would very much like to see it tightly
> integrated into mainstream Debian, as an option that one can choose during
> installation.
I never thought that.  Please see my other replies in this thread.

> Here is why I suggested linking up kernel development efforts between DeMuDi
> and Debian Desktop.  Both of us want to apply very similar patchsets to the
> standard Debian kernel, although with a few differences.  DeMuDi wants some
> special ALSA patches from CVS, which doesn't really affect Desktop Debian.
> DD might want to apply the supermount patch (maybe), which is probably
> irrelevant to DeMuDi.  However, there are a number of patches we both would
> like to see put into a Debian kernel, which could be made available during
> installation, just like the various already existing, different kernel
> images.
Enough sais in my other mails.

> The idea is that DeMuDi and DD join efforts in terms of testing and
> developing our special patchsets - this reduces wasted duplication of
> effort.  Then, at some appropriate time, we humbly approach the Debian
> kernel maintainers and possibily the release manager as well; and say, "Hey
> guys, we have a fully tested kernel here which we would like to include with
> your various other kernel images as an optional choice during installation.
> We have done a lot of work on it already, to hopefully make the kernel's
> inclusion easy for you to do.  Could you please add it in with the other
> official Debian kernel images?"
Perfectly all right.  I just care for the way you try to add it.  As we
have seen it there are packages ready *anywhere* in the web and nobody
seems to know about it.  (Please excuse me if I take the point of a dumb
user here.)  There is a well documented procedure how packages will be
integrated into Debian.  Debian is an open project in which every
interested person can take part.  We do not need an "extra force" in
Debian.  What I want to say is:  Integrating a good package with free is
easy! Just make it not more complicated than it is.  I'm afraid that I
have to start an extra effort for packages I want to include if people
might get comfortable with the idea that it could be a little bit more
difficult to include a package into Debian and that extra mails will
have to be written ...

> Andreas, I hope this clarifies any misunderstanding.  If you have additional
> concerns, or other questions, please comment in reply.
I hope this clarifies my intentions and that I perfectly understand your
goal but that I'm fighting against making things more complicated than
necessary.

Kind regards

         Andreas.