Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

Hi,

At Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:47:25 +0900 (JST),
Oohara Yuuma wrote:

> s/xterm/mlterm/, I don't want to see mojibake on Debian's default X terminal.
> (On mlterm you can do CTRL + right-click to change its font and color
> --- another advantage.)

I second.

Though most of western-European-language-speaking people don't know
about this, non-western-European-language-speaking people have to
configure each software to use proper charset and encoding for their
language.  For multibyte-language speakers, combining-character-
language speakers, and bidi-language speakers (most of non-European
language speakers, about half of popularity on this planet I guess),
this procedure is very complex and many novice users are bewildered.

Properly internationalized softwares (which are sensible to LC_CTYPE
locale omit this labor.  mlterm is one of such softwares, while xterm
is not.

(Please note that I expect XFree86 4.3 will contain xterm with limited
internationalization (LC_CTYPE sensibility) support.)

For "mojibake", please refer the following page.
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/mojibake/

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/