Re: enabling/disabling daemons

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 01:58:41PM +0200, Ard van Breemen wrote:
> > Please help me out here.  Could you expand upon some of those reasons?
> > I can't really get a handle on it.  I would have replied with your
> > typical reply as well.  If you don't want the daemon why install it?

I install freeswan on my laptop, but have to write magic scripts to
bring it up explicitly only when my wireless card is plugged in because
it only binds to your network interfaces when it boots up.

I don't like that the netperf daemon is always running regardless of
whether I'm doing benchmarking at the moment. I'd like to have the tool
installed, but I'd like to not have the "security hole" on all the time.

The netperf issue is a matter of preference, I suspect. The ipsec issue
is one of those unpredictable outlier cases. We shouldn't tell a user
"no, you can't do that" just because we aren't imaginative enough to
think of every scenario. We shouldn't go out of our way to let the user
tweak any option in the universe, too, but this seems like a moderately
harmless addition. Not to mention, I can't count the number of users
transitioning to Debian that've asked me "well, where's chkconfig?".

> (Heh, just catching up threads)

Thanks, I missed this one, and it's one of my pet peeves.

--
chris jantzen kb7rnl =->         __O
Insert witty comment here.     _`\<,_