Re: enabling/disabling daemons

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 06:52:08PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Noah L. Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> [2002-09-23 19:09:52 -0400]:
> > Every time I've seen this argument made in the past, the response has
> > always be "well why did you install the package if you don't want to run
> > it?"  I don't think that reply is valid.  There are plenty of sane
> > reasons why you might want to install a server package but leave it
> > disabled.

> Please help me out here.  Could you expand upon some of those reasons?
> I can't really get a handle on it.  I would have replied with your
> typical reply as well.  If you don't want the daemon why install it?

If you install a package first time, it could wreck havock in
your network.
Take for example heartbeat: you want to set up to other servers
in a heartbeat environment. Do you want heartbeat to start and
confuse the other heartbeats.
Or a real live example:
apt-get install keepalived.
Do you think it is fun that keepalived starts talking vrrp to
the network with the same mac address as another vrrp instance
elsewhere. If it is the same mac address as the mac address of
your firewall/default router, believe me, your network is going
down, hard.  There should be two questions: do you want to
(re)start the daemon after installation/upgrade, and do you want
to start the daemon upon runlevel start.

(Heh, just catching up threads)

--
mail          up   98+04:13,     7 users,  load 0.00, 0.04, 0.05
mistar1       up   30+15:01,    25 users,  load 0.00, 0.00, 0.00