Re: APPEAL FOR URGENT ASSISTANCE

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 06:09:48PM +0200, Santiago Vila scrawled:
> > Someone please reduce spamassassin threshold in lists.debian.org.
> > Spamassassin 2.43 can wait. Reducing spam should not.
>
> No.
>
> The focus of any spam prevention on a list *must* be on avoiding false
> positives, rather than false negatives. If you get one, delete it and
> deal. I think Craig Sanders' proposal sounds pretty damned good.

There are several differences between mail addressed to an individual
and mail addressed to an open mailing list:

* Users know whether or not their messages reach the list. If there is
"spamicity" in a legitimate email, users may remove the spamicity and
resubmit again.

* Every spam addressed to a mailing list which is not caught by mail
filters in the list servers is multiplied by several thousands when
delivered to subscribers. This is a very high price to pay and it's not
comparable to the price if the address were an individual address.

It's very easy to say "lists should remain fully open for all posts
below 5.0" when you have a fast net connection not everybody has.