Re: Mutt-testing requires libgnutls-unstable?

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 08:28:10AM +0200, Auke Jilderda wrote:
> Though a clear answer, it leaves a bit to be desired in the way of
> explanation... Does anybody care to detail the answer somewhat?

mutt 'suggests' libgnutls5.  It does not 'depend' on it
because for everyone else who doesn't use imap over tls,
libgnutls5 is not required.  libgnutls5 is loaded
dynamically, and if not used, mutt runs just fine, like the
other things it suggests (gnupg, ispell) and in contrast to
such things it really needs (libc6, libncurses5).

"Suggests" does not prevent packages from moving into
testing.  This is good because it keeps packages from
breaking when other packages they don't really need
disappear or are renamed.

Both are good design decisions.  Hence Marco's brief
but accurate "Yes."

libgnutls5 is not presently in testing because it hasn't
been in unstable long enough.
http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gnutls5.html

Now, add unstable to your sources.list, add a pin to your
apt/preferences file, apt-get install libgnutls5, and be
happy.

-neil
yes, I use mutt with tls on machines running testing, but
eagerly install the latest libgnutls.