Re: Spam: process the web archives?

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 11:24:43AM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 10:49:20AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> > I often find mailing list archives tedious to use, because they seem to
> > be annoyingly slow.
> >
> > I think being required to log in will make the pages uncachable by
> > squid, which in turn will only make the problem worse.
>
> Are they slow for you in principle (having to click click click all the time)
> or is lists.d.o slow (low throughput)?

For lists.debian.org, it is manually the click, wait, click, wait,
click, wait, all the time problem.

I would personally like to be able to download an entire thread at one
time, with some sort of index at the top (so you can go directly to
replies for instance without having to reload the page again). Even
better, would be if the output could be compresssed (not sure if
this is possible or not).

For other mailing lists archives, speed of downloads is also a problem.
Especially when you have to reload the index each time you go back to
it. Especially when the have these borders, graphics, ads, etc, that
aren't really wanted. One example which immediately comes to mind:
sourceforge.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>