Re: Spam: process the web archives?

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 03:15:53PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> The best compromise I can think of, both for list and bug archives, is
> to display obfuscated addresses unless the user is authenticated
> somehow. I can understand people not wanting to have to log in just to
> view the archives (c.f. loony setups where you have to create an account
> and log in just to report a bug), but what if unauthenticated users got
> everything except unobfuscated addresses, and if you did some simple
> cookie-based login it was all just as before?

I often find mailing list archives tedious to use, because they seem to
be annoyingly slow.

I think being required to log in will make the pages uncachable by
squid, which in turn will only make the problem worse.

Other then that, I am not sure if it would help. There are that many
people accessing the mailing list, it would be pretty hard to check each
one one registering that they don't plan to use it for sending SPAM...
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>