Re: Spam: process the web archives?

Stephen Ryan wrote:
On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 10:41, Keith G. Murphy wrote:

Jérôme Marant wrote:

Hi,

 Many people noticed the increasing level of spam these
 days. I do consider that the web archives of the debian
 lists help spammers a lot since they provide email
 addresses as is.

 I would suggest that we process the web archives, rewriting
 every email address so that they can no longer be used by
 spammers.

I have seen this done by converting the text mail addresses to images. That way the addresses are still unmunged and human-readable, but not harvestable.

Ought to work, these being web archives.

That works really well - for people who can see the images.

To all the people that replied: sorry, I didn't think before I posted. Or not well; my thought process was: "We can't do that; folks don't want HTML E-mail; wait, this is web-based: images are OK!". Should have gone one more step.

Guess you could use ALT tags, but the harvesters would presumably get those too.