Re: Spam: process the web archives?

On 16-Oct-02, 04:38 (CDT), Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:
> If you mean that email addresses HAVE to be disseminated, then your
> counter-counter-argument is bogus.

No, I'm saying that if you participate in a large public e-mail address,
you should expect that said e-mail address is going to be harvested
by spammers. I doubt that re-distributing via web archive or news
makes a huge difference. And my *personal* experience/opinion is that
obfuscating e-mail addresses hinders legitimate communication far more
than it does spammers.

> If you want to reach somebody who said something in a list, you have
> to subscribe to know his email address.

No, I don't. I simply browse one of the many web archives.

> Being able to do that should be a privilege, not a "right". Such
> privilege should be reserved for those who subscribe. We should not
> give spammers such privilege.

So, if I was a major spamhouse, I'd simply subscribe to such lists. If
I was careful not to spam the list from the same address, you'd never
know.

--
Steve Greenland

    world.       -- seen on the net