Re: Spam: process the web archives?

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 08:11:43PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > >If sourceforge and geocrawler protects email addresses in their list
> > >archives, there is no reason why we should not be able to do the same.
> >
> > Do you believe that finding every single archive of Debian mailing lists
> > and then either getting the administrator of the archive to obfuscate
> > them or determining which subscribed address is being used to generate
> > the archive is a trivial problem?
>
> Of course not, but maybe google can help here :-)

And many of them will say the same thing that the Usenet gateways have said
in the past. "We won't <archive/gateway> closed lists, but open lists are
fair game - they're open".

Even if you found a way to track down which email they were subscribed
under (and purging this information from anything put up is trivially
simple for most lists), they'd just re-subscribe under another email.

Don't pick fights that are, by their very nature, unwinnable and which
will only serve to annoy those who otherwise look upon you with favor.

To summarize:

If you don't want an address known to the public, don't use it to post
to a public forum.
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/