Re: debian.org Jabber server?

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 09:45:11AM +1000, Daniel Stone scribbled:
[snip]
> > All this already happens with less overhead (introduced by XML) on IRC
> > channels. In order for jabber to provide the same functionality,
> > http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0045.html (Multi-User Chat) has to
> > mature first, it's in flux and at revision 0.8 since 10/10 only.
>
> There's a difference between "overhead" and "flexibility". XML parsers
> these days are actually quite fast and lightweight.
>
> Plus, the multi-user chat JEP is going along very well, and is already
> in use in several places; I have no doubt in its ability.
Plus jabber can be much more secure than IRC and with much less effort.

> > > faster bug reporting and solving, and many more...
> >
> > With a specialized (yet to be written) client and a (to be written)
> > BTS interface on the server side, bug management might be
> > improved. OTOH we want users submitting a bug report to think twice,
> > look if what they consider a bug has already been reported and give
> > all relevant information. All this is not well suited to IM.
>
> Not necessarily submission of bugs; more *management* of bugs, and stuff
> like BTS acknowledgements, etc.
I, for one, would love to get messages on jabber about bugs filed against my
packages, perhaps also stuff like debian weekly newsletters, debianplanet
headlines - anything is possible.

[snip]
> > Jabber has a great potential, e.g. I'm investigating it for remote
> > administration where message pushing can be vital. GPG-encrypted
> > p2p communiction is a great plus although it requires a quite bit of
> > processor power. For conferencing I clearly prefer IRC for now.
>
> I personally find it has way cool stuff, like:
> * SSL support
provided you find any server that does use SSL, though :-) It would be great
if the Debian jabber server supported it. If there existed a jabber-based
BTS interface (an agent, probably) which supported GPG signed/encrypted
messages, one would be able to manipulate their bugs in a more secure manner
- the identity would always be known... I guess more things could be done
using such a gateway.

marek