Re: debian.org Jabber server?

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 01:58:22PM -0500, Brother Steve Langasek preached da werd, yo:
> On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 08:52:14PM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:
> > Why not use existing jabber servers? Same as with IRC...
> > Lot's of people use already IM Systems, why should they use another IM
> > and not the existing ones?
> > Lot's are already using irc, msn etc. and might be unwilling to add
> > another IM stealing their time ;) IM is only useful if you use it to
> > communicate with people you know; if you know then you can easily setup
> > this yourself (like meet on IRC etc.)

Yes, lots of people use Messenger/AIM/ICQ, but Debian isn't hosting any
of these services, thus it's not "adding" another IM service. Jabber
already exists, the post is just talking about the ability to use
@debian.org addresses with Jabber.

> > I fear it's kind of a waste of resources unless there are special
> > Debian-Related services available (but i don't know any that could make
> > use of IM and can't be done more easily on IRC)
>
> If it doesn't get used, then not much is wasted in the way of resources
> (just one daemon running on a server, sitting idle).  If it does get
> used, then it's not wasted.  I'm in favor of Debian setting an example
> of supporting open IM protocols.

I agree.

--
Daniel Stone 	     <daniel@raging.dropbear.id.au>             <dstone@kde.org>