Re: why perl 5.8 won't be in testing for a while

Hi,

Read the mail from JoeyH regarding packages holding perl 5.8 from entering
testing, and saw berkeleydb among the showstoppers.

This bug sounds like the one I fought with this spring. I was not that
familiar with the BTS at the time and attempted to open an email
conversation directly with Steve. He was not very responsive, so I ended
up working on the bug directly with the upstream author Paul Marquess
(because I needed the package for pop-before-smtp at the time).

As I understood the explanations from Paul, there are tricky bugs buried
deep down in libdb3, which are solved in libdb4. They show up only on the
bigendian systems, so maybe a workaround could be to either depend on
different libraries for different platforms, or split the package in
berkeleydb-db3-perl (targeted only for littleendian systems) and
berkeleydb-db4-perl.

The first solution is IMHO bad, as it is then not possible to depend on
the package and know which db is used (as is needed for pop-before-smtp
and probably others as well).

Having several variants of this package is A Good Thing(tm) - the reason I
started working with it was that libdb-perl (part of the core perl source
package) is not always in sync with e.g. postfix regarding the db version.

Below is my last mail in the discussion - I got no response from Steve on
that one.

 - Jonas

P.S.

To Paul Marquess and others interested: You can now subscribe to the
bugtracking of libberkeleydb-perl from this webpage:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/libb/libberkeleydb-perl.html