Re: Mass bugfiling potential: 'rules' with space

>> Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

 > Yes, fair enough. Can anyone think of a good reason why NetBSD
 > *shouldn't* pass on trailing whitespace in the interpreter line other
 > than "It breaks things that work on Linux"? If not, fixing the
 > packages sounds like the right thing to do.

 Isn't it easier to fix the _kernel_?  Just ignore trailing whitespace,
 or can you come up with a way of passing an space as parameter to the
 interpreter (on Linux)?  Look for example at this:

$ cat foo
#!/usr/bin/make bar baz

all:
        @echo hello
$ chmod +x ./foo
$ ./foo
make: *** No rule to make target `bar baz'.  Stop.

 Linux splits on the first whitespace after the interpreter name and
 passes all the rest as a single argument, ignoring trailing whitespace.
 (I must correct myself at this point, elsewhere I said Linux splitted
 on whitespace and passed only the first argument -- which is obviously
 not the case).

 NetBSD seems to split on whitespace and pass all the arguments, not
 ignoring trailing whitespace.

 And before someone asks, perl parses the #! line on its own.

--
Marcelo             | Item 25: Avoid overloading on a pointer and a numerical
mmagallo@debian.org | type