Re: Warning to Debian Developers regarding BitKeeper

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002 13:07, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
>    Therefor, I should issue GET requests for the BitKeeper license page
>    as quick as my connection allows me to do so, and check if it changed
>    each time. This result holds for other bitkeeper users as well.
> </evil>
>
> "Well, legally, I had to perform that DoS attack... they required me to
> do it in their EULA..."

I suggest that you write a tool to do this and package it for Debian.  It
should do a HTTP request to check the date on the relevant URL once per
minute whenever it detects that a bitkeeper process is running.  On detection
of a change it should download the new version and store it in a suitable
location, and log the fact to syslog, email, and optionally wall.  There
should be an option to "kill -STOP" bitkeeper as well to avoid inadvertantly
using it before receiving the email about the new license.