Re: Regarding BitKeeper and its price list

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 07:26:32PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 12:37:01AM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 11:08:34AM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > > Debian is now involved in this dispute, and I think that is entirely
> > > inappropriate.
> > I don't think it's at all inappropriate.  What I do think is inappropriate
> > is that Debian characteristically DOES NOTHING when these kinds of events
> > present themselves.  What exactly does this project stand for anyway?
>
> ``The Debian Project is an association of individuals who have made
> common cause to create a free operating system.''

That's from section 1 of the constituion, for those who don't
recognise it offhand.

== begin constitution
4. The Developers by way of General Resolution or election
4.1. Powers

Together, the Developers may:

4.1.5. Issue nontechnical policy documents and statements.

These include documents describing the goals of the project, its
relationship with other free software entities, and nontechnical
policies such as the free software licence terms that Debian software
must meet.

They may also include position statements about issues of the day.
== end constituion

'nuff said. The developers as a group are constitutionally empowered
to do this if they want to, no matter what a few may prefer. Anybody
who wants Debian to make a political statement can initiate the
necessary discussion and vote.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK