Re: Warning to Debian Developers regarding BitKeeper

On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 10:29:32PM -0500, Brother Steve Langasek preached da werd, yo:
> Not presuming to speak for what Larry does or doesn't think is in the
> best interests of BitMover, but the license text as quoted does say:
>
>    Notwithstanding any other terms in this License, this
>    License is not available to You if You [...] develop [...] a
>    product which contains substantially similar capabilities of
>    the BitKeeper Software, or, in the reasonable opinion of
>    BitMover, competes with the BitKeeper Software.
>
> Red Hat Linux is a product which *contains* substantially similar
> capabilities of the BitKeeper Software.  Debian GNU/Linux is a product
> which *contains* substantially similar capabilities.  Therefore,
> regardless of whether anyone's truly selling CVS or SVN, all of us are
> developing products which contain capabilities similar to BitKeeper.  If
> it is really Larry's intention to not discriminate against distributors
> of GNU/Linux, he's going to have to refine his license somewhat, because
> the current text clearly allows him to go after any {Debian,Red
> Hat,Mandrake,...} developer that he decides should not be using his
> product.

I NMUed cvs once. I think that disqualifies me from hacking on the
kernel.

Sigh.

--
Daniel Stone 	     <daniel@raging.dropbear.id.au>             <dstone@kde.org>