Re: Warning to Debian Developers regarding BitKeeper

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002 21:13, Branden Robinson wrote:
> If:
> 2) the company you work for

Is Debian "the company you work for" when applied to Debian developers?

> B) produces
>
> OR
>
> D) resells

Develops or resells, Debian includes CVS and a number of somewhat similar
programs, does this count?

> **) anything which, in the "reasonable" opinion of BitMover, competes
> with BitKeeper

So I guess that BitMover is likely to say that SOMETHING in Debian competes
with BitKeeper, after all with 11,000 packages we should have something that
competes with almost any piece of software imaginable.

> ...you have no license to use the BitKeeper software.  To use the
> software legally under any conjunction of the above circumstances, you
> will have to pay BitMover for a license.

So does this mean that ALL Debian developers are banned from using BitKeeper?

> I express no opinion as to whether to the requirements of the BitKeeper
> license are legitimate, valid, or enforceable in any particular
> jurisdiction.  If you are concerned about this issue, please retain
> counsel.

Or just cease using BitKeeper entirely.  After all if you stop using it then
you can't be sued (and ceasing to use it is a lot cheaper than hiring a
lawyer).