Re: LFS

On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 01:34:33PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
It seems to have worked reasonably well so far to only enable LFS where
obviously needed (fileutils, backup software), and when someone files a
bug asking for it (slrn for example), and when upstream enables it (perl
I think). At least I cannot remember seeing any requests for LFS turned
on in a given program being ignored, and I'm confident that anything
reasonable I throw at a large file will probably support it and is at
the most a bug report away from doing so.

Bzzt. It's at most a bug report and a stable release away. (Be
conservative and call it two years.) We can and should do better than
shove sarge out and say "maybe your big file will work and maybe it
won't." Even more, as lfs-enabled programs (and ridiculously large hard
drives) become common it's increasingly jarring to stumble accross
something that isn't lfs-enabled.
Mike Stone