Re: new maintainter process [was: Re: Orphaning my packages]

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 05:34:22AM +0200, Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> > is this a common problem with the new maintainer process? does anybody
> > have any hints as to why this took so long?
>
> I think it is. I am in the NM queue since 2001-06-07. Still there,
> waiting for the DAM approval since 2002-01-01, with absolutely no clues
> about what is the actual status or who is the actual referrer.
> You may see some statistics in http://nm.debian.org/ .

Often, the DAM, currently James Troup, has to telephone those awaiting
DAM approval, especially if there is something slightly unusual with
the application (scanned ID, for example). This is a good thing. We
need applicants to go through two levels of checks; we don't want just
anyone to be able to be a Debian developer, we expect a certain
standard. As James is one of the busiest members of Debian, he rarely
has time to make these phone calls. I waited 7 months for DAM
approval, it was frustrating, but don't worry about it. It'll happen
eventually.

Furthermore, the NM process seems to be even busier now than it was a
year ago, when I first entered. I'd expect wait times to be longer.

Please don't give up!

--
Duncan Findlay