Re: RFC: some new deb package flag: "upgrade-conflicts"

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 01:38:55AM +0200, Simon Richter wrote:

> Debian packages are expected to be upgradeable with skipping one
> release.

Expected by whom?  I've never read anywhere (and certainly not in Policy)
that skipping a release when upgrading must be supported by packages, and
given our long release cycle I consider it folly to assume that it will
be supported, since it's very possible for a package to change hands 3
times over the course of two releases.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer