Re: hdparm (rcS.d pollution)

As an aside ... all of this is in rcS.d ... ? This is singleuser mode, right? Like, the disaster recovery type thing? Must do critical system level stuff with nobody else around bothering the system?

And these are in there:

> S35mountall.sh      N
> S39dns-clean        Y
> S39ifupdown         Y
> S40hdparm.sh   (Not debian)
> S40networking       N
> S41portmap          Y
> S45mountnfs.sh      N
> S46setserial        Y
> S48console-screen.shY
> S50jove             Y
> S51ntpdate          Y
> S55bootmisc.sh      N
> S55urandom          Y
> S60hwtools          N (hdparm used to be here)
> S70nviboot          Y
> S75sudo             Y
> S85nethack          Y

These certainly don't seem essential to singleuser mode boot. mountall can be argued either way, given that it's run before networking, but if your system is hung on any one of these processes, it's not coming up at all. One offender here that sticks out like a sore thumb is ntpdate. This thing takes forever if networking is borked. It's certainly not essential in singleuser mode. And what happens if you install a new hard drive and hwtools (most specifically hdparm) does bad things? You're SOL. DHCP server down? Wait 5 minutes for discover to timeout while your users are screaming that they can't get their mail. rcS.d should bring up a minmum, er, "Safe Mode", system only, and you can start the things you need manually.

Crap - even S60svgatextmode is in mine! I'd better be careful if I install a new video card if my old one dies .... if the settings aren't compatible, I'll have to go buy a new video card (assuming I can still find one the way video cards are superceded) just to be able to boot the machine and change the config!!

Should bugs be filed against each of these packages now?

Christopher

Osamu Aoki wrote:

I checked my workstation's script and stop, start, restart,... are seen
in some scripts but quite a bit does not do this.  (Always do the same
whatever parameters are given.)

README           Y=follow policy, N=do not care stop, start, restart,...
S01devfsd           Y
S05initrd-tools.sh  N
S05keymap.sh        Y
S09scsitools-pre.sh Y
S10checkroot.sh     N
S15isapnp           Y
S18hwclockfirst.sh  Y
S20modutils         N
S22scsitools.sh     Y
S25lvm              Y
S30checkfs.sh       N
S30etc-setserial    Y
S30procps.sh        Y
S35devpts.sh        N
S35mountall.sh      N
S39dns-clean        Y
S39ifupdown         Y
S40hdparm.sh   (Not debian)
S40hostname.sh      N
S40networking       N
S41portmap          Y
S45mountnfs.sh      N
S46setserial        Y
S48console-screen.shY
S50hwclock.sh       Y
S50jove             Y
S51ntpdate          Y
S55bootmisc.sh      N
S55urandom          Y
S60hwtools          N (hdparm used to be here)
S70nviboot          Y
S75sudo             Y
S85nethack          Y

(I may be incorrect for few cases but you get an idea of situation.)