Re: hdparm

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 10:26:41AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Thomas Poindessous wrote:
> > * Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> [2002-09-25 09:40]:
> > >
> > > Don't go around giving people such ideas.  Just make the script do nothing
> > > on stop, and run hdparm on start/restart/force-reload.
> > >
> > > If it goes in /etc/init.d/ it should be a proper init script. Please. It
> > > doesn't matter if it will be called in runlevel S, or whenever.

I am not starting this kind of prectice but following what has been done
in /etc/rxS.d/ scripts.

> > /etc/init.d/discover doesn't have start,stop,restart options. When you run
> > it with stop option, it does the same as with start option.
>
> There are buggy scripts in /etc/init.d right now, I think.  It is also
> possible (but kinda improbable) that the above IS the correct behaviour for
> the discover service (do the same thing on stop, start, restart,
> force-reload...).

I checked my workstation's script and stop, start, restart,... are seen
in some scripts but quite a bit does not do this.  (Always do the same
whatever parameters are given.)

README           Y=follow policy, N=do not care stop, start, restart,...
S01devfsd           Y
S05initrd-tools.sh  N
S05keymap.sh        Y
S09scsitools-pre.sh Y
S10checkroot.sh     N
S15isapnp           Y
S18hwclockfirst.sh  Y
S20modutils         N
S22scsitools.sh     Y
S25lvm              Y
S30checkfs.sh       N
S30etc-setserial    Y
S30procps.sh        Y
S35devpts.sh        N
S35mountall.sh      N
S39dns-clean        Y
S39ifupdown         Y
S40hdparm.sh   (Not debian)
S40hostname.sh      N
S40networking       N
S41portmap          Y
S45mountnfs.sh      N
S46setserial        Y
S48console-screen.shY
S50hwclock.sh       Y
S50jove             Y
S51ntpdate          Y
S55bootmisc.sh      N
S55urandom          Y
S60hwtools          N (hdparm used to be here)
S70nviboot          Y
S75sudo             Y
S85nethack          Y

(I may be incorrect for few cases but you get an idea of situation.)

        Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ also http://qref.sf.net
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract