Re: the netbase/inetd conspiracy

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 08:48:36PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Anthony Towns wrote:
> > So list them.
> Good first step, but then: Fix the config file formats so that there are
> other ways to get the desired result than deleting the file.

Well, so far the only examples are daemons that don't start when their
config files are removed, ones that have a particular default behaviour
when no config file's present and things like /etc/cron.*. The former's
already handled by disabling init.d scripts, invoke-rc.d, and uninstalling
the package; the second issue's handled by just listing the "defaults"
in the config file (usually just making an empty file), leaving only
the last issue that would require a little revamping.

> The put it in policy that config files should offer some way to
> <do whatever> other than only deleting them.

And even cron.* scripts can be handled without deleting them: just clear
the file. It's not pleasant, but it _works_.

So, since there aren't any other examples (are there?) we should...

> Then we could think about changing dpkg's behavior at some point even.

...do this now, right? After all, _thinking_ about it isn't going to
hurt anyone, is it?

Cheers,
aj