Re: the netbase/inetd conspiracy

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 09:50:00AM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> In chiark.mail.debian.devel, you wrote:
> >How about doing the exact opposite of what dpkg does now? Preserve
> >changes made to the file, but, if the file's deleted, reinstate it in
> >"pristine" form?
> Didn't we have this discussion recently? I'm sure there are cases where
> a deleted file is treated differently from an empty file by the
> application.

So list them.

> In that case, restoring deleted files is definitely a bad
> idea ("I accidently deleted the binary so reinstalled the package, and
> it blew away my configuration!")

Well, no, it didn't do that. It restored your configuration, since you'd
already blown it away. Maybe that's undesirable in some situations (and,
indeed, I can think of some -- I can also think of ways to make them not
an issue). It would help if you'd share some specifics, so we could talk
about them.

(and that's under half an hour for the first knee-jerk "bad idea! bad! no
biscuit!" response)

Cheers,
aj