Re: inclusion of a debian dir in upstream src

> > Is it a good idea to keep a debian directory upstream? I have CVS access,
> > so I think it'd make it easier for me, and also for others who want to
> > build custom debs, if the debian files were in CVS.

My personal experience is that "debian" dirs in the main CVS tree SUCK.
For example galeon has a "debian" dir in CVS; when i update the checkout
i have to backup my debian dir, cvs update, remove the checked out
debian dir, then restore my own debian dir.

You can always put the debian dir into a different cvs repository.
If you keep it separate it's easier for users that want to package the
application differently.

As long as the debian dir is kept up-to-date (like if it's the dir you
actually use for the package) it's not that bad though. But if it just
got added sometime in the past and is rarely if at all updated...
Or if it has a different philosophy; think of bigger applications that
the actual package maintainer wants to split in multiple packages;
whereas the "upstream" debian dir is designed to build a single package
only...

There were already several threads about this, please check the
archives. Especially lot's of people have different opinions here ;)

Greetings,
Erich