Re: inclusion of a debian dir in upstream src

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 04:57:45AM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:
> > > Is it a good idea to keep a debian directory upstream? I have CVS access,
> > > so I think it'd make it easier for me, and also for others who want to
> > > build custom debs, if the debian files were in CVS.
>
> My personal experience is that "debian" dirs in the main CVS tree SUCK.
> For example galeon has a "debian" dir in CVS; when i update the checkout
> i have to backup my debian dir, cvs update, remove the checked out
> debian dir, then restore my own debian dir.
>
> You can always put the debian dir into a different cvs repository.
> If you keep it separate it's easier for users that want to package the
> application differently.

The sanest suggestion I've seen so far is to keep upstream's Debian
scripts in a directory 'deb', and symlink it to 'debian' in configure,
provided there's no real 'debian' directory.  This way, the Debian
maintainers can easily override it in their diffs without clashes.

Daniel.