Re: RFC: Moving libraries to /lib?

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 09:16:50AM +1000, Sam Couter wrote:
> I've come across this problem before, and I was unable to remount /usr
> read-only. I have no idea why.

this can for example happen, if there are deleted but open files on /usr.
This typically happens if you have updated a lib and not restarted all
programs using that lib.

The new version of lsof can detect this, I suggest you use this regularly to
find unreferenced open mapped files. You can also use memstat for that.

lsof -a /usr +L1	# find all files with link count < 1 AND on /usr
fuser -vm /usr		# find all files open on /usr

> No big deal. Nobody is going to install more than one or two PAM or NSS
> modules, so /lib isn't going to get too big.

well, but this means we need to move the libs depending on the configured
pam modules, ugly if you ask me.

> The NSS modules are never unloaded.

Here is the problem, it is a question of NSS and not PAM!

Which is especially ugly if the shared lib was updated, cause this will
trigger the above "deleted file on remount" problem.

Greetings
Bernd
--
  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Wendelinusstrasse39.76646Bruchsal.de --