Re: RFC: Moving libraries to /lib?

Torsten Landschoff <torsten@debian.org> wrote:
> 1) even with libldap linked from /usr, it should be possible to remount
>    that filesystem ro which would not cause any data loss

I've come across this problem before, and I was unable to remount /usr
read-only. I have no idea why.

> 2) with that explanation we would need to move every other library used
>    in PAM modules to /lib as well (think libpam-mysql, libpam-pgsql, etc.)

No big deal. Nobody is going to install more than one or two PAM or NSS
modules, so /lib isn't going to get too big.

> 3) AFAIK those PAM modules are only opened for a short time when
>    authenticating the user. Once the session is set up I don't expect
>    them to be in memory.

The NSS modules are never unloaded.
--
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam@couter.dropbear.id.au