Re: Accepted po-debconf 0.2.2 (all source)

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 07:19:17PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Yes, that would be nice, but everytime this comes up I get 50 mails
> from 30 people arginig about Japanese encodings[1]. At this point I
> assume that they are not sane, transcoding doesn't work at all, etc.

Has anyone actually given an example of a case where EUC-JP to UTF-8 to
EUC-JP doesn't come back clean when iconv is used both ways?  Both Steve
Langasek and (I believe) Junichi Uekawa claimed this, but neither has
given or referenced any solid information.

Lacking that, I can only assume it's just misinterpretations of one of
the other problems Tomohiro has described (which aren't relevant here).

> [1] And if any of you replies to this mail... grr.

Well, if you want to add the ugliness of using multiple encodings in
one file without anybody even being able to produce an example of the
alleged problem, I can't stop you.  :)  (I'm replying because of the
importance this has with all i18n, not just Debconf, so tune this out
if you like.)

But, debconf aside, I--and probably Tomohiro as well--would be very
interested in either 1: solid examples, so they might be fixed or
at least documented, or 2: acknowledgement that there are no solid
examples (and probably no problem at all), so we can move on with our
lives and use UTF-8 without fear of unspecified problems.

--
Glenn Maynard