Re: Sid & Openoffice

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 05:09:34PM +0200, Michael Meskes
wrote:

> I just upgraded my testing machine to unstable and
> installed KDE3.0.3.  All worked well except that
> openoffice no longer shows a single character. That is
> there is no longer any character in the menues, windows,
> etc.
>
> Did anyone else have such an effect?

Yes.

I don't pretend to understand it, but I was able to restore
functionality by hand-editing the font configuration in
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (probably unnecessary),
/etc/X11/XftConfig, and /etc/X11/fs/config.

I noticed that /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType is empty,
at least at the top level.  There are some subdirecories,
but I basically ignore this directory now.

Here is an excerpt from my XftConfig.  I don't know if Type1
fonts can go here, but I put them here just in case.

   dir "/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
   dir "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/larabie-deco"
   dir "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/larabie-straight"
   dir "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/larabie-uncommon"
   dir "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice"
   dir "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/xfree86-nonfree"
   dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
   dir "/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts"
   dir "/usr/share/fonts/type1/xfree86-nonfree"

Note particularly that there is an "openoffice" directory in
the list.

Here is an excerpt from my fs/config:

   # paths to search for fonts
   catalogue =
       /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,
       /usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled,
       /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled,
       /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,
       /usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,
       /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/

Note that here (and in XF86Config-4) I have removed the
TrueType and Type1 fonts.  This solves the problem of the
double occurence of each in the KDE font-selection dialog.
After I made these changes, ran mkttfdir everywhere, shut
down the X server, shut down the font server, restarted the
font server, and restarted the X server, then OpenOffice
started working again.

At about the same time as all of this, mozilla stopped
working.  I was finally able to get it working again by
editing /etc/mozilla/prefs.js.  Here is an excerpt:

   pref("font.directory.truetype.1", "/usr/share/fonts/truetype");
   pref("font.directory.truetype.2", "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/xfree86-nonfree");

Note that I could *not* get mozilla to work when I specified
any of the other truetype directories listed in XftConfig
above.  'mozilla --debug' spat out that each of those
directories contained at least one font with zero glyphs.
Then mozilla died and returned the command prompt.

--
Thomas E. Vaughan   (303) 939-6386   Ball Aerospace, Boulder
   Ball-internal home page: <http://hypostasis/~tevaugha>