Re: pbuilder sid chroot libpcap0

Brian May <bam@debian.org> immo vero scripsit:

> > pbuilder uses debootstrap.
> > debootstrap uses a static list of "base" and "required" packages it needs to install.
> >
> > debootstrap needs to be updated every time something in base and required
> > change.
>
> Why does this list need to be static?
>
> Why can't debootstrap get a list of "base" and "required" packages
> by looking at the Packages file?

There are two reasons I can think of:

o We don't necessarily have a working apt (or dpkg) at debootstrap time.
o There are packages which are really base/required that are not marked
as such in the Packages list.

Second one can be fixed; first one is a bit harder,
when one only has access to /bin/sh and busybox.

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4