Re: [RFD] optimized versions of openssl

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 10:14:24AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 03:35:58PM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> >  The shared library is 179 kB.  Why don't you just provide the optimized
> >  versions in the same package?  Are the any stability/correctness issues
>
> Now for the real overachiever, what would be really cool is if you
> hacked openssl to do *runtime* detection of which optimizations to use.

You can make the linker do most of the work for you.  Glibc's linker
tries CPU-specific directory prefixes before looking straight in /lib
or /usr/lib.  You could provide small sub-libraries in /usr/lib/sparcv8
(I think that works.... someone should check; I know /lib/686 works on
i386) that contain the optimized code.  Then a normal version in
/usr/lib and openssl's main shared library can link to the small
library, trusting the linker to find the right one.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz