Re: bugs.debian.org: ChangeLog closes handling should be changed

Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@ist.org> writes:

> * Brian May <bam@debian.org> [2002-08-29 09:50]:
> > On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 08:48:31AM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> >>  What we need is a change here: Bugs should just be closed in unstable.
> >> How to do this?  They should be rather be tagged <sarge> than be closed
> >> by an upload to unstable.  Not unconditionally, of course.  The version
>                                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^
> >> of the bugreport should be compared with the version currently in
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >> testing.  Some sort of algorithm not too complex but able to handle most
>    ^^^^^^^^
> >> of the cases shouldn't be too hard to do (yes, I volunteer to help
> >> there).
> >
> > Then bugs will me marked as sarge, even though they might be bugs
> > specific to unstable.
>
>  Just to make sure you didn't miss that I thought of that problem
> already, thanks.  Or do you think of that the bugs are there because of
> other packages in unstable?  Well, then the bug might be filed against
> the wrong package.  Which would leave us with a problem -- the version
> is rather meta information in the bugreport and not real useful data, is
> it?  So currently there is no need to change the version field if a bug
> gets reassigned to a different package... *hmmm*  Difficult issue, but
> still no issue that shouldn't be raised/thought about.

What about the folowing mechanism:

- The dist of the reportie(s) is checked. If its not in the bugreport
  guess stable.

- When a "closes" is seen in the changelog the version of the
  uploaded package is noted.

- Reporties using unstable get the normal mail as it is now.

- Reporties with testing get a mail that a bugfix is uploaded to
  unstable and they might want to try that out. Once the package closing
  the bug (or any later version) moves to testing they get a mail
  seaying that the bug is fixed in testing.

- same for stable but 3 mails. A "is in unstable", a "is in testing"
  and a "is closed" mail.

- The BTS tags bugs as [closed unstable], [closed testing] or
  [closed] respectivly. The script moving things to testing and stable
  tells the BTS about the version it moves and the BTS changes the tags
  according to a version compare.

- Bugs with tag [sid] could get closed immediatly with a upload to
  sid. The [sid] or [sarge] tags could be adjusted by the BTS when a
  new version is moved. If bar is moved from sid to sarge all [sid]
  tags become [sid][sarge]. A [closed unstable] would replace the
  [sid] tag but leave the [sarge] tag.

MfG
        Goswin