Re: why is /usr/sbin/install-info a perl script!!!

>    I am trying to get the glibc debian cvs for 2.2.92 to
> package (it builds and passes make check fine on debian
> ppc sid with the new gcc 3.2.1pre). However the buggy
> perl 5.80 in sid has broken install-info. I looked at
> a Yellow Dog Linux machine and noticed, however, that they
> had a texinfo 4.2 source package that builds an info
> package with a binary /usr/sbin/install-info instead of
> the perl version we have. Why is that and why don't we
> just NMU texinfo in sid to start building a binary
> install-info until perl 5.80's regex stops leaking
> memory like a sieve?

Why are you making such a gigantic fuss and dragging in extra-debian
groups (the LSB) and threatening NMU's when the maintainers of packages
involved are actively working on the problem? Why do you not do basic
reasearch before posting? It might help if you took the time to
understand:

1. What debian install-info does.
2. What GNU install-info does.
3. Why blindly replacing one with the other is stupid.
4. Why perl is segfaulting.
5. Why it is not quite clear if this is a perl bug or an install-info
   bug.
6. Who already knows the answer to all of the above and is working on
   a fix.

.. before mouthing off further on this subject.

--
see shy jo