why is /usr/sbin/install-info a perl script!!!

   I am trying to get the glibc debian cvs for 2.2.92 to
package (it builds and passes make check fine on debian
ppc sid with the new gcc 3.2.1pre). However the buggy
perl 5.80 in sid has broken install-info. I looked at
a Yellow Dog Linux machine and noticed, however, that they
had a texinfo 4.2 source package that builds an info
package with a binary /usr/sbin/install-info instead of
the perl version we have. Why is that and why don't we
just NMU texinfo in sid to start building a binary
install-info until perl 5.80's regex stops leaking
memory like a sieve?
                               Jack